Saturday 12 July 2014

Book Review : That Boy (That Boy #1) by Jillian Dodd


Goodreads Description :
That Boy is a contemporary romance about falling in love with the boys next door.

You know, being friends with two cute boys does have its benefits.

There's Danny. Danny is a golden boy in every way. He has dreamy blue eyes and blonde hair that always looks perfect, even when it’s windblown or been stuck under a football helmet. He’s the boy every girl crushes on. The boy I get into trouble with, the boy I fight with, the hot quarterback no girl can resist, not even me. Being with Danny is like being on an adventure. He has a bright, contagious smile and abs to die for. He’s pretty much irresistible.

Equally crush worthy is Phillip. Adorable, sweet Phillip, who I have known since birth.  Phillip has dark hair, a perfect smile, brown eyes, and the sexiest voice I have ever heard. He’s the boy I talk to every night before I go to sleep. The boy who rescues me, the boy who can read my mind, the boy who is always there for me, the boy who tries to keep me out of trouble, the boy who irritatingly keeps getting hotter, and whose strong arms always seem to find their way around me.  And when he gives me that grin, I can never say no.

One boy will give me my very first kiss.
One boy will teach me to make out.
One boy will take me to prom.
And finally, one boy will ask me to marry him.
They will both be my best friends.
But only one of them will be the boy I fall in love with.
Only one of them is That Boy.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11382346-that-boy

Title: That Boy (That Boy #1)
Author: Jillian Dodd
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance, Chick Lit, NA ,
Mature YA
Mature YAFormat: eBook
Pages:-
Source: Free off iBooks


Where do I begin.... ?!?!

Okay so I'm a fan of Jillian Dodd's The Keatyn Chronicles which I've read all the books that are so far publish so when I saw 'That Boy' on iBooks for free I had to download it!
The book is written in a diary style with cute doodles/illustrarion following JJ (Jadyn James) Reynolds from childhood till early adulthood along with her two best friend Phillip and Danny, both described as the "hot boys next door". 

We follow JJ's life is filled with fun happy times that brings a smile to your face as well as sad tragic times which could literally pull your heart strings. I like reading her monologue which is  a bit dramatic its mostly laugh out loud funny and at times adorable!

I love the characters especially our main trio. JJ's strong, tough, sarcastic, happy-go-lucky, competitive, down-to-earth and witty characteristic made me love her from page one. Yes she tends to not make some bad choices trough the book but she eventually resolves them. I also love how she has many characteristics! One moment she is just one of the guys playing football (or should I say strip football *wink *wink) and the next she's just one of the girls though she hates shopping and at times need's a girlfriends advice on what to wear for a date. I could relate with her in a lot of aspect and at the end of the book I literally want to jump into the book to ask her to be my best friend!

Phillip and Danny are total opposite guys but are equally swoon worthy! Heck even I had a tough time choosing which guy is THAT BOY!

Danny's the golden boy, quarterback on the football team, the jock that all the girls swoon over! He's fun-loving. loyal, freaking hilarious, flirty, sexy and gahhhhh just freaking amazing! Though he has the playboy sorta lifestyle he treats girls with respect (which he better since JJ did teach him a painful lesson about girls when they were kids). Although they didn't click well when they first meet, its nice to see them grow closer trough as they grow older and that they are both really similar.

Phillip is just down right preciously adorable and a freaking sweet heart!!! where can I get one??? 

Though he can be a 'bit' bossy, strict, conservative, and uptight. he's freaking sweet, sensible, always-there-for-you Prince Charming, who knows and understand JJ better than anyone since they have been friends since birth! He's been there trough every moment of JJ's life and is there to rescue, help, support, protect and be there for JJ no matter what. I literally melt the more I read about him as even as friends he is super protective on JJ and they just have this bond that they can't see but others can! 

The friendship between the trio is realistic and its heart warming watching them grow from childhood till adult hood. Also the parents and friends in the book were amazing to read as well! My favorite supporting characters are JJ's Dad which some of the more tender moments are between JJ and her Dad, Lori who is JJ's sorority sister and best friend from college as well as Phillips  mum!


The story got me hook from page one as I want to know who is 'That Boy'! Trough the book you'll go trough a roller coaster of snap shots of JJ's life of first dates, a heart wrenching tragedy, kissing 101, college life, friendship and most importantly finding 'That Boy'.

This book is ridiculously sweet and adorable and though there were times I was grinning like crazy there were some times where I felt overwhelming feels thanks to a freaking plot twist that I seriously didn't see coming! Also this book may have a 'love triangle' element but its love triangle in a diffrent way which is nice and refreshing and most importantly NOT ANNOYING! As for the romance aspect of finding out who is 'That Boy' when you do you'll be one of those who jumps in the air and screams FINAL-FLIPPING-LY and promise you that you'll be satisfied with 'THAT BOY'. 

Also the line 'That Boy' is mentioned quiet a number of times and while reading I highlighted ever single time the word 'That Boy' was mentioned and there is a variety of ways its mention (just checked iBook search and found its mentioned atleast 36 times :P) like 'I give that boy a mad face', 'I hate that boy' and my personal favorite ' WHERE THE *&%# IS THAT BOY?' which literlly made me laugh for a good 10 minute straight!

Gosh I say 'THAT BOY" so much in this post that if Riley from the Keatyn Chronicles was here I would have taking shots every time i see the word 'That Boy' trough out the book! lolz:P

 I can't believe this was Jillian Dodd's debut novel! I always thought it was the Keatyn Chronicles that came first. Anyways I love this book to pieces and was super happy and satisfied with the ending! Happy, fun, emotional goodreads with an amazing cast of characters that I grew to love and care for and a realistic storyline! Definitely give this book a go if you like contemporary romance/ chick lit and also check out Jillian Dodd's other series Keatyn Chronicles.

Also check out the author's website

I just finish the sequel 'The Wedding' which a review should be up really soon. Till then SOMEONE HAND ME THE NEXT BOOK IN THE SERIES!!!

  

Which team are you on? Team Danny or Team Phillip?

*Team Phillip ALL THE WAY!!! (But I also like Danny ;P)


No comments:

Post a Comment