Friday 25 July 2014

Book Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss #2) by Stephanie Perkins


Goodreads Description: 

Lola Nolan is a budding costume designer, and for her, the more outrageous, sparkly, and fun the outfit, the better. And everything is pretty perfect in her life (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood. When Cricket, a gifted inventor, steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.














Title: Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss #2)
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance, Chick Lit,
Format: Paperback
Pages: 338
Source: Purchased from the bookdepository


I love Anna and the French Kiss and that took me a while to pick up... This I was saving till after finals to devour it and tough it was worth the wait I am currently slapping myself silly wondering why the heck didn't I pick this up sooner!!!

Firstly while the story does have some parallel with Anna where two people want to be with each other but one of them is dating someone else. While the main story is Lola working out her feelings for her rocker (and much older) boyfriend and the fact her childhood crush Cricket who's family has moved back next door, it also has family drama, old enemies and being yourself without overdoing it. This basically your boy-next-door story with a good twist which made the story more unique

If you have not noticed I like a character centered book and the cast of characters were amazing!!!

Lola Nolan... I can only describe her in one word... unique! She's talented and artsy, daring and not afraid to stand out in the costumes (not outfits but costumes), fun loving, smart and mature though she tend not to make some of the best choices and is really really witty! I love reading from her head as she go trough some tough decisions including being honest with herself with who she love and who she really is. I love her development especially at the end though it was not a smooth ride.

Cricket... okay firstly WHO NAMES THEIR KID CRICKET?!?! Apart from the Odd name aside I freaking love him!! He is the adorable nerdy boy-next door and is super sweet especially with Lola. Some of the smallest/simplest gestures he makes makes me go 'aawww' and smile like a freak! I feel really bad for him living in the spotlight of his twin at times that his family tend to overlook his talent in inventing, but I love how he is still very supportive and proud of his sister.

Max.. at first I was okay with him thinking of him as the mysterious 'bad boy' rocker but when Cricket appear back in Lola's life I was like 'FORGET HIM!!' and hated trough the rest of the book. Though the way Lola treated him was not right I hated how he was trough out the book. Long story short he's a jerk!

Andy and Nathan who are Lola's strict and protective parents at first when it was mentioned 'other dad' I was like 'Rotan confuse' as I didn't expect Lola to be raised by two dads. I actually liked the ideal of the two dad's raising her and we rarely see same sex parents in YA . I love how Lola get along with her dads and that they play a bigger role than most book parents do. I especially love Andy trying to play cupid with Lola and Cricket! Freaking cute!

Side Characters... I liked Lindsay and that fact the author added another diverse character (she's Korean) but I felt like her character is very vague. We only get a glimpse of her every now and then. I was on the love hate side for Calliope was on the love hate side as most of the time I wanted to hate her but at the end of the book I neither love or hate her but I understand where she's coming from being the over protective twin of Cricket. Same goes for Norah, though her character eventually became better in the end I still was on the love hate section with her. My favorite side character were Anna and St Clair! Yes Anna and St Clare have a bit of involvement in this book which was a freaking surprise as I though it will just be a Cameo but it was more! Its great to see their relationship grow and mature from the previous book and their is seriously the sweetest!

I feel that Anna has changed slightly... I can't put my finger on it but when I reading her it feels different.. she's more... mature? Also my favorite line 'Anna confuse' makes an appearance!!! As for St Clare... boy is he freaking cheeky and witty and gosh do I love him even more in this book (point me to the direction where they sell St Clare!! Not Eclairs but St Clare's lol) ! He also has a more major role of helping Lola being honest with herself (technically her voice of reasons) where he makes references from his experience in the previous book since he was in the same position as Lola back then. 

While the story was predictable, I feel like this was really different from the other YA romances that I've read so far and is a huge improvement from Anna and the French Kiss.

The cast of characters was great and the story line though simple and fluffy but filled twist and turns making this not your average romance/ boy next door story. Stephenie Perkins writing is freaking fun, cute and unique! Now all I need is Isla and the Happily Ever After and my life will be complete! 

If you've read Anna and the French Kiss READ THIS!! If you have not read Anna and the French Kiss than pick it up before you read this so that you won't be all 'Anna confuse' as there are references to the previous book. Check it out also if you love Contemporary romance that are sweet and quirky!

I LOVE THIS BOOK TO PIECES and now have a new favorite book on my favorite bookshelve! Long story short JUST READ THIS! You won't regret it! And prepare to smile and giggle and swoon!



No comments:

Post a Comment