Saturday 16 May 2015

Book Review: The Beginning of Everything /Severed Heads and Broken Hearts by Robyn Schneider

 Goodreads Description:

Golden boy Ezra Faulkner believes everyone has a tragedy waiting for them—a single encounter after which everything that really matters will happen. His particular tragedy waited until he was primed to lose it all: in one spectacular night, a reckless driver shatters Ezra’s knee, his athletic career, and his social life.

No longer a front-runner for Homecoming King, Ezra finds himself at the table of misfits, where he encounters new girl Cassidy Thorpe. Cassidy is unlike anyone Ezra’s ever met, achingly effortless, fiercely intelligent, and determined to bring Ezra along on her endless adventures.

But as Ezra dives into his new studies, new friendships, and new love, he learns that some people, like books, are easy to misread. And now he must consider: if one’s singular tragedy has already hit and everything after it has mattered quite a bit, what happens when more misfortune strikes?

Robyn Schneider’s The Beginning of Everything is a lyrical, witty, and heart-wrenching novel about how difficult it is to play the part that people expect, and how new beginnings can stem from abrupt and tragic endings.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13522285-the-beginning-of-everything?ac=1

Title: The Beginning of Everything (published as Severed Heads and Broken Hearts in the AU/UK)
Author: Robyn Schneider
Genre:
YA, Contemporary, Romance, Coming of Age
Format: Paperback
Pages: 335

Publisher: Katherine Tegen
Source: Purchased at MPH Bookshop at KLIA (just before boarding :P)



Golden boy Ezra believes that life does not start till you get yourself into a tragedy. For him that was the summer before senior year when he gets into a car accident, shattering his leg and ending her career as a star tennis player. The book follows the aftermath of his accident as Ezra discovering who he is and what he wants to do in life with the down fall of his athlete career and losing the status of being one of the "in crowd" with the help of the new girl Cassidy.

I love this story so freaking much and connected with it instantly! A way to describe this book is as if its written by a best friend who knows me well and incorporated all the things that I love in a book. It’s intelligent, witty and spontaneous! The synopsis was what  intrigued me and the moment I picked up the book I could not put it down as I was captivated with Ezra and his story. There were some parts where I foreshadowed in the book but the way the plot twisted was very different from what I expected. There was a good hint of mystery where it feel like there were missing clues which all ties up in the end.
While it was well paced out, I had mix feelings about the ending. It was not a picture perfect ending it was bittersweet and was happy with where Ezra was at the end of the book and the final few pages were beautifully and poetically written as well as ultimately satisfying. 

The characters were really fun to read! They relatable characters that I want to befriend with. Also 50 points to Gryffindor for the awesome Doctor who and Harry Potter references! They were great Easter egg and I had fun fangirling to it. 


Ezra's character development made the book for me. I was charmed with him from page one and the more I read about him the more I swoon over him! He’s a ‘Nerd in a Jock’ body which I love stories like that. He’s intelligent, sarcastic and quirky who cares a bit too much about what people think and feel insecure. 

No joke I wanted to jump into the book and shake the dude silly shouting ‘Don’t give a crap about them’ or ‘Stand up for yourself’.

He started out at the low point, self-cautious and trying to blend in with the crowd but at the end he realises his potential, grew in confidants, stand up for himself, move away from the stereotype and his ‘friends’. Even though Cassidy's was the one who pushed him change in the end it is himself who made him change for better and be true to himself. Also he learns to let go of the past in order to move on with life.

I love reading from his POV with his brainy, snarky and unique narration along with the random puns throw here and there. Also I never swoon over a MC guy character but Ezra is one of my ultimate bookish boyfriend!



Cassidy remind me much of a lovelier of John Green characters Alaska and Margo where they are this pretty, smart, funny with a hint of mysteriousness. She is under the love hate section of the book where I adored her but was frustrated with her! Like the cover of the book Cassidy was a roller coaster to read. She comes out as happy-go-lucky, free spirit and intelligent but deep down she has her secrets and is broken.

I enjoyed her character’s spontaneous adventure and energetic yet mysterious personality which was fun to follow but when the book hit a certainty point, I became not a fan of her because her secretive personality drove me NUTS. I like her relationship with Ezra as she influence him to change his mind-set. Their very different personalities fitted together very well which made their interaction very entertaining to read about.


The romance was a roller coaster to read about! I adored Ezra and Cassidy relationship trough the book! It was fun watching their relationship and there were some really cute and sweet moments between them. Then it hit a certainty point I felt the boat shattered! *cries!*

The cast of side characters was amazing! I love reading about the Debate club gang where they are a smart, intelligent and diverse group of kids who do well in school yet knows how to kick back and loosen up. I love reading about the 'cool nerds' and kinda identify myself as one.. well sorta :P! 



Toby is one of my favorite characters to read! Won't mind a full book about him. Freaking cool guy and one of those loyal friends who'll always be there no matter what. Also he's freaking cute when he make references and fanboys about Doctor Who and Harry Potter. Like Ezra he has been trough his own tragedy when they were younger, though it involves a Disneyland roller coaster incident which made him an outcast in school. Even so he is confident, hilarious and know his motives and what he wants to do in life. I also like how he addresses about his sexuality when he confesses about being gay but does not want to come out in high school. 






His friendship with Ezra is one of my favorite bormance in YA. He welcomes Ezra's friendship at his downfall with open arms and was there to be his voice of reason when Ezra needed a hit in the head!




Also there is Pheobe who I adored! An aspiring journalist with a cute yet edgy personality. I love reading an Asian character who diverge from stereotype 'asian kid'. I also don't mind reading a full book on her. 

As for Ezra's old friends I am just going to say they are all fishing self centered potholes (trying to keep swearing pg-13) Especially Charlotte!!! gosh!!! i wanted to jump into the book and strangle that BEACH cause she acted like she is the flipping queen and annoyed the heck out of me! Long story short they were the stereotypical jerky jock/popular kids that kinda annoyed the heck of me. 



Overall I enjoyed it! I love the story and writing style as well as the pop culture references! Its filled with both beautiful poetic quotes and funny witty moments that made me laugh out loud. Also the quote above is my fav of the bunch.

I not only connected with the story and the characters (especially Ezra) but related to the scenario of moving on in life after a tragedy as I too faced a 'tragedy', on a few things including health wise (which I am not gonna go into too much details as its just something too personal and kinda emotional. FYI I am better now) when I was eighteen and it kind of change my life drastically. 

This book seriously have a special place on my favorites shelve! It helped me during my low times as what Ezra felt with his health condition and how he moved on in life motivated and inspired me! Long story short its one book that influence me and 'saved' me not to mention turn my perspective on life. 

I've re read this six times ++ and counting. Its the one book I push to friends when they want a book to read especially when they were recovering from a John Green/TFIOS book hangover. 


The Beginning of Everything is an optimistic, realistic and moving coming off age story of self-discovery and moving on with life after a tragedy along with moving from exception that one was expected to live up to after a downfall. 

I laugh with this book till I cried (of both happy and sad tears as Cassidy is kind of a heart breaker). A book for fans of Doctor Who, Harry Potter and John Green!
 


Quick note: When I first read the Beginning of Everything I was at a low point of my life where I had 'tragedy' after 'tragedy' happening to me that affected both my health, studies and life wise. I related to Ezra on what he was going through and the book inspired me to be a bit more spontaneous, pick up the pieces and move on with life. I mentioned this book over and over and over again that its one of my most influential books of all time cause if I were to choose a book that 'Saved my life' this will be the book.




For the UK/ AUS readers, the book is published under a different name and cover called Severed Heads and Broken Hearts which to be honest kinda suits the plot of book more. Even so I like the original US cover which is the one that I owe, more than the new cover which is blue instead of yellow.


Also the Author is coming out with a new book this year on May 28 2015 called Extraordinary Means which I was lucky to get an ARC of from Netgalley so a full review COMING SOON closer to the release date. 

FYI I already read the arc and have a 'little review' on my Goodreads and all I can say is I LOVE IT AND MY MIND IS ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! And I might have pre ordered a lovely hardback of the left cover from the book depository... Okay I did pre ordered it with another anticipated YA! :D

Also I feel like a Russian spy with secret hidden information as there is so much I want to say about Extraordinary Means but have to hold back till closer to the release date.

So till then I re-read The Beginning of Everything to hype myself (and to get over a bad book hangover) for reading the physical copy of Extraordinary Means which kinda explain why I'm now reviewing it even though its been over a year since I first read it.

Long story short then just PICK UP THIS BOOK! 

Also Check out my Anticipated YA releases for MAY 2015 (Click Here)

Till Next Time 


















No comments:

Post a Comment