Saturday 21 March 2015

Book Review: Every Word (Every #2) by Ellie Marney

Goodreads Description: 

James Mycroft has just left for London to investigate a car accident similar to the one that killed his parents seven years ago...without saying goodbye to Rachel Watts, his 'partner in crime'.

Rachel is furious and worried about his strange behaviour - not that Mycroft's ever exactly normal, but London is the scene of so many of his nightmares. So Rachel jumps on a plane to follow him...and lands straight in a whole storm of trouble.

The theft of a copy of Shakespeare's First Folio, the possible murder of a rare books conservator, and the deaths of Mycroft's parents...Can Watts help Mycroft make sense of the three events - or will she lose him forever?

Sparks fly when Watts and Mycroft reunite in this second sophisticated thriller about the teen sleuthing duo.


Title: Every Word (Every #2)
Author: Ellie Marney
Genre: Conteporary, Thriller, Mystery, Crime, Romance
Format: paperback
Pages: 340 pages
Publisher:  Allen & Unwin
Source: purchased from Dymocks


 

If you have not read Every Breath (Full Review) warning as there are spoiler!


My thoughts for this book is all over the place! Prey that I make sense in this review!

Its been 8 weeks since the event of Every Breath. Rachael parents are keeping under 'house arrest', a murder that might be link to Mycroft's parents death has occur along while the Shakespeare Folio that the murder victim, a librarian was looking after is missing. When Mycroft suddenly leaves to follow Professor Walsh to London to investigate the murder, Rachael, worried for her boyfriend rushes to catch the next plane to London to find him before more trouble can occur.


The last book was set in Melbourne. This time we follow Rachael and Mycroft around London. I love how the author describes London and the places they visit especially the Sherlock museum!

The premise of the story was great and paced out really well! Its one of those books where it churn your braincells connection the dots, figuring out the mystery. The suspense and action sequence were a heck lot better compared to Every Breath. I love how the big 'WTF' moment came sooner instead of later and left me I was on my edge of my seat at 2 am reading it!

 
If you guys read the book or attended the 'Every Move' launch, three fingers Ellie... THREE FINGERS!!! I have read alot of book, played some games and seen a lot of show/movies intense and the intensity of this book has made it to my top three list along with Telltale's Walking Dead Season 2 video game and James Dashner's The Scorch Trials!  IT WAS SO GOOD BUT AND SO FLIPPING INTENSE!

The writing, no words to describe apart from how well written it is (I am terrible at discription!). Its darker and intense, not a bed of roses though there were some sweet heart warming moments. Also I love the book is well researched and reading the science aspect of the book.

I love the character development in this book! While we briefly meet Rachael's parents and friends Mai and Gus, we get some great character and relationship building from out main duo along with meeting some new and familiar faces.

Rachael was such a great, kick ass and strong minded character though like in the previous book she makes some decisions that makes shout 'NO! STOP! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!' she has her reasons and her quick thinking manages to get her out of trouble.

Mycroft... my feels for this boy are all over the place! There were times where he was just out of control that he needed to get his SHIT together and there were times where I wanted to hug the poor guy! He is an angry character with A LOT of issues and baggage. We get to know more about his past, his parents and the accident seven years ago. We also learn the reason of his obsession for forensic. Though insane, there is this charm in Mycroft that makes me swoon! I keep thinking of him as a darker version of Augustus Walters from TFIOS mixed with the Tenth Doctor from Doctor Who. I swear he is gonna grow to be a charming but mad scientist/doctor!


I looked forward to reading more of Rachael and Mycroft's relationship in this book and the development of their relationship is to a whole new level though sit tight as its a bumpy ride! I love how their relationship takes a lot of twists as they sort out their emotions and feelings for each other in the early stage of their relationship. I naww at the sweet moments between them and devoured the moments when things starts to heat up! This is one unique duo and partner in crime! Opposite yet similar, they balance and keep each other sane!
 
I love reading Rachael and her brother Mike's relationship even though it was brief, its still as strong as the previous book. As mentioned in my Every Breath review, this is one of the best and realistic brother-sister relationship! I need more YA with relationship like this!

In the last book we were introduced to Alice, a nurse at the hospital that Mike now works at and also his girlfriend. I love reading about Alice and her relationship with the Watts siblings (in two totally different ways). She was very sweet with Mike and a great 'big sister' role for Rachael! I kinda want a story on Alice and Mike. *hint *nudge *wink to the author 

The 'Big Bad' aka Villain of the book caught me off guard! Not gonna say much but as I mentioned IT WAS INTENSE!


A couple of things that I was not a fan of in the book, Rachael managing to get a ticket THAT CHEAP hours before flying off to London... I had a hard time believing that so I had to knock my head and remind myself its fiction! Also I find it convenient the fact that Mycroft and Rachael coincidentally have all the tools they will need to make that big *boom* moment or the part where they manages to find a van and the key is conveniently there.

The book ended with a BANG literally. I like how it wraps up the London arc nicely without any loose ends and cliffhangers and has a great set up for the last book Every Move!

Overall the Every Word was gripping and addictive! A great story where crime and mystery meets swoon romance!


 

I just finished reading Every Move aka the final book in the series and will have a review of that up soon! All I can say is FEELS! A LOT OF WTF MOMENTS AND I DON'T WANT THIS TO END!

My feels are on a rollercoaster! Nuf say.. JUST PICK UP THE FLIPPING SERIES!


No comments:

Post a Comment