Tuesday 21 July 2015

Game Discussion: Life Is Strange Episode 1 (Chrysalis) SPOILERS!


WARNING: SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 1 OF LIFE IS STRANGE as I'll be discussing the choices I made in the game and why. If you want to see a no/mild spoiler review (Click here).


So a part from the time rewinding mechanics and puzzle solving in the game one of the biggest thing about this game are the choices you make as whether big or small IT WILL HAVE CONSEQUENCE on the storyline. Unfortunately discussing the choices will involve a spoiling the game's content hence me making a separate 'review' where I discuss and reason why I choose such choice and also game play/ puzzle leading up to the choices.

Major Choices.



1) Hid the Truth


Leading up to our first major choice was the bathroom scene where we play around with Max's newly found rewind mechanics to break the fire alarm and save Chloe. This being the first major puzzle it took me a couple of trials of rewinding time but I eventually got the heck out of there only to encounter the security guard and the principal.


I went into playing this game wanting with as little 'bad blood' with Nathan. Yes the logical thing to do in reality is to tell the principal that Nathan was waving a gun but he'll accuse you that you don't have any evidence. Also when Max mentions that he smells of alcohol I'm like NOPE CAN'T TRUST HIM YET! So I hid the truth and it will probably come and bite me later.

2) Comforted Victoria


I like the puzzle of getting Victoria and her minions out of the dorm steps. This puzzle was filled with trial and error but I had fun playing it and getting some sweet revenge on the mean girls.


I choose to comfort her cause I'm a nice person and seeing Victoria's 'sad face' made me empathise her and her Cashmere Cardigan.

3) Intervene to help out Kate

A game where your mission is to free someone being lock FROM THE OUTSIDE of their room just to get a flash drive by going into the enemies conveniently unlocked room to print an email to proof Victoria is an evil BEACHHHHHHH and Dana's innocent to Julie ... only in Life Is Strange. I mentioned in my review that this is my least favorite mission and I in fact forgot that I was even there to get Warren's flash drive. Also can someone PLEASE explain how the heck can someone get lock from the outside especially in a dorm room so that I can prank some people in my dorm (muahahah!!! sorry RA).


I helped out Kate as I felt that taking a photo will be worthless and she's Max only other friend in the school. Also I could not seeing stand David harass Kate like that and in a gut instinct will stop the guy instead of taking a photo.

4) Hide from David

Exploring around Chloe's house was fun though bittersweet when Max starts thinking about her childhood and how things have change. While in the garage it was once again trial and error to get the 'tiny tools' but compare this to getting the flash drive I had more fun. Mostly I love getting to know more about Chloe this though girl on the outside but is actually sad and abondone in the inside.

Hiding from David had me in *PANIC* mood but was actually easier then I expected and managed to hide in one shot.



Okay I'm already on David's bad side twice and after seeing the files in the garage, I don't want to mess with that guy and get a third strike so *HIDE*. Also it kinda is Chloe's fault for smoking the Pot and for her attitude and in reality if i were to act like Chloe to my parents I'll get a hella worse response than a slap in the face.

Minor Choices


1) You let Daniel draw your portrait


Okay Max keeps saying how nice and sweet Daniel is but to be honest the kid creeps me out and I know a couple of guys in real life who act and talk like Daniel and (sorry guys) they too creep the heck out of me and my friends!

Storytime: okay there is this guy who used to live in my dorm and kinda has a thing for my friend who works on a cafe on campus used to (i kid you not) go to the cafe EVERY DAY MULTIPLE TIMES, stands at a corner and watch my friend as she makes coffee only placing an order if she's at the cash register. I seen this with my own eyes a couple of times (duh I need my caffeine fix) and seeing him stalking my friend creeps the heck out of me that I actually stop going to that cafe for a while.

Still I let Daniel draw as it got me more info about Rachael (in a creepy and fascinating sorta way) and there was no harm in saying yes... i hope.

2) You Sign Ms Grant Petition

Might come back to bite me later but if you later learn that David the security guard has a camera fetish. Also Ms Grant is the only teacher who is genuinely nice to Max and I wanted to stay on the good side. 

3) Help Alyssa


Okay so I did help her though I'll admit I rewind several times to see her getting hit by that football.  Also optional photo trophy reason.

4) Erase the insult on Kate's slate

Cause I'm a nice person... nuf said

5) I didn't water Lisa

 Cause I'm not a nice plant person... nuf said

6) I didn't touch Dana's pregnancy test.


Okay technically I did then I rewind time to talk to Dana about some 'rumors' going around. Also I like this part as she basically call out to the players for being overly snoopy.

7) I didn't reorganized Victoria photos 


Haha I actually 'reorganized' the photos to get that optional photo trophy but rewind as I didn't want any 'bad blood' Victoria especially after what happen in the front of the dorm. Cause I'm a nice person and Max is a Blackwell ninja who is good at stealth and leaves NO evidence!

8) Wrote on the RV

For optional photo trophy reason and cause it really was dirty.

9) Save the bird

Cause I'm a nice bird person though I kinda felt like an idiot as i didn't realize the bird was on the wardrobe after I rewind. Also for optional photo trophy reason which I miss out and have yet to replay that part. 

10) Didn't break Chloe's snow globe

Okay I accidentally broke it but when Chloe shouts 'Thanks for breaking my dad's snow globe' I was like SHIT *PRESS CTRL* and walk away.

11) I didn't leave any evidence


Cause Max's is a ninja! Though my Max manages to freeze them in mid air... *hide!!!*

12) Read David's files

And it was creepy! While I do think he might have 'good intention' this is down right stalker wrong!

Overall

I'm actually quiet satisfied with my decisions and yes I did rewind at some parts to see the multiple outcome but that's one thing I like mostly about the game is that along with Max's inner thoughts, it really makes you second guess on your choices before you move on.

I like how it rewards you with 'more knowledge' to use to your advantages when talking to some of the characters like after looking at Dana's pregnancy test, you can rewind and unlock a new dialog option, more things to snoop around in the room as well as maybe also a new friend. Also if you talk to Brook and rewind time, look at the box so that you can be a 'drone know it all' and you'll not only impress her but also she'll let you fly her drone (WHICH WAS FREAKING AWESOME AND MAKES ME WANT TO BE HER FRIEND... for the drone).


Some choices are like little pop quiz which takes trial and error like what's Juliet's full name. There is this 'pop quiz' that makes the game feel like trying too hard on being artsy like to name a photographer in order to look into Evan's portfolio which even with my brother playing the game with me who goes to an art school like Blackwell have no freaking clue!

Looking around and talking to the characters not only help you build some relationship/friendships but also get to see a different side some of the character. Take example David, the security guard and Chloe step dad where yes he has an obsession for security camera and takes his job too serious, while he might be doing some really wrong stuff like harassing Kate or being a step prick to Chloe, as I was walking around Chloe's house we learn not only suffers PTSD from his time in the army but he does genuinely care for Chloe's safety (listen to the voice message on the telephone downstairs) but does not know how to show it.

Another example is if you talk Max's classmate to Hayden he'll not only give you information about Rachael but also about Nathan'. Heck talking to almost everyone in this game seem to be good friends or likes Rachel... suspicious???

Alright so those are all the decisions I made in the game. If you played Life is Strange and did something that I did different let me know in the comments why. Also if you think I missed out or overlooked something let me know in the comments as well.

Happy Playing!!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment