Sunday 9 November 2014

Book Review : Reboot (Reboot #1) by Amy Tintera


Goodreads Discription:

'5 years ago, I died. 178 minutes later, I woke up.'

In this post-apocalyptic thriller a deadly virus mutation sees teenagers raised from the dead and trained to be vicious soldiers until Wren, the deadliest Reboot, joins forces with Callum, the most innocent, to try to overthrow the organisation that has corrupted
their world.




Title: Reboot (Reboot #1)
Author: Amy Tintera
Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Dystopian, Post Apocalypse, Romance
Format: Paperback (UK edition)
Pages: 384 pages
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Source: Purchased from Dymocks


I am a sucker for anything with the word 'Zombie Apocalypse'! This is a really cool and unique twist on the genre where instead of the undead coming back as flash eating monsters they come back as super bionic humans! The longer they are dead the stronger but less emotional they are rebooted.

I put off getting the series as I wanted to get the sleek looking US covers from the bookdepository but recently I won the sequel Rebel in a giveaway (which was the UK/Aus cover) so naturally I had to get the matching edition.

The pacing of the book is fast pace and full of awesome action pack moments. Reading it, the atmosphere reminds me of some great survival apocalypse themed video game that I've played like Left 4 Dead and The Last of Us.

The plot have a good balance of action where they were fast pace but not too fast that you can barely catch up as well as some great character and world building moments.

I instantly love Wern and Callum characters! Wern has been dead for 178 minutes which makes her one of the strongest, deadliest but emotionless reboots. Strong, sharp and straight forward, she's what I like to see in a main female character.

 Callum is the total opposite to Wern which is very different from a lot of books as if there is a strong female character there usually is a stronger male character. In this case because Callum has been dead for only 22 minutes, he is one of the weakest reboots, and is practically human with the fact he show's a lot of emotions. Unlike a lot of reboots he ask too many questions, he refuses to kill and fright and cause he has alot of emotions he smiles alot. Still he is sweet, funny and charming and is not afraid of Wren. He makes her feel less of a monster and more human.

I like their relationship! The pacing was surprising as usually in dystopian/apocalyptic the romance is insta-love. Instead the build up to the romance took a while so that was refreshing to read.

I whiz trough Reboot and picked up the sequel Rebel the moment I was done. The ending was sort of a cliff hanger which was a good not frustrating set up to the sequel.

Overall I love this book! It has everything I enjoy in a survival/apocalypse genre! Check this if you want a great survival action reads along with a unique twist to the Zombie Apocalypse world!





No comments:

Post a Comment