Sunday 23 November 2014

Top 10 Influential books Tag

So this tag has been going on around Facebook, booktube and blogs for a while and a friend of mine recently tagged me on facebook to list my top 10 influential books.

The rule of the tag is to list 10 books which have influence you without saying much.

Now being the ramble person I am I though it will be fun to give a short description on how the book affected me and the way I read.

10. The Railway Children by E.Nesbit

My favorite children classic! I love reading about the siblings and their adventures near the railway train track.

I watched the Halmark movie years ago and love it, later learned that the movie was based on the book so obviously I had to read it.

Also... I like trains ;P lol












9. Mathilda by Roald Dahl



Surprisingly I read this in high school (and still hitting my head for not reading it sooner...) and this is my favorite 'Modern Children Literature' 

I love Roald Dahl writing! Very smart but also silly and fun.

Though I also enjoy his Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Series I love Mathilda more.

Mathilda will definitely be the best bookish best friend since she likes reading (like me!).





8. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens


My parents used to send me for English Tuition where I would get assigned readings.

This was my favorite assigned reading and another great classic! I was probably Tenth when I read this and have since lost count how many times I've re-read this book.

 I enjoyed reading about Pip growing up, being trained to be a Gentlemen, his 'Play Dates' with Estella at Miss Havisham, his friendship with Joe.

Also the book talks strongly about friendship, materialism and redemption.




7.  Holes by Louis Sachar 



  Once again an assigned reading, this time for High School when I took an elective subject on Literature in English for SPM. The assigned reading in the 'regular' English classes were okay (except Phaethon of the Opera... was not a fan to the story) but THIS ONE is freaking thought provoking and really made me used my brains.

I read this in one sitting and was mind blow with the plot twist and the confusing time laps that makes sense at the end. In a way I view this book like a complicated puzzle and you know how happy and satisfied you feel when you complete the puzzle? That's what it feels like finishing this book!

I re-read this book dozens of times since I had to study it but even after High School I still read this as a random pick me up book though its not as fun as reading it the first time. In fact I bought another copy of Holes (of a different edition) to keep in my dorm's bookshelf here at uni.

I love reading about the friendship between Stanley and Zero. I also picked up the sequel, Small Steps which is just as good as Holes (so pick it up!).

If I could choose one book to forget about and re-experience reading if for the first time, this will be the book!


6. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer



As in the entire series that has so far released... NEED WINTER LIKE YESTERDAY !!!

This series got me into loving YA sci-fi/dystopian which is something I was put off for a while due to the hype.

From the world building to character development and narration, Marissa Myer has a unique way of twisting favorite fairy tales to suite this futuristic world and made the story her own!

Also she's probably the only author that I've read who managed to balance out multiple POV of the characters without confusing the story.

Expect a lot of fast pace actions, awesome cast of characters, great friendship, adventure and romance with never a dull moment in the series! 

There are two more books in the series that has yet to be release that is Fairest (Jan 2015) and Winter (Nov 2015) as well as a lot of novellas that I am hoping that she will make a bind up since that seems to be the new money maker in the book world apart from series/trilogy.

5. The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider 

A coming of age story about what's next for 'Golden Boy' Ezra when he gets into an car accident and couldn't continue playing tennis due to his injuries. I found the author on youtube and love her personality and humor so when I found out she has a book out I had to read it!

There are some laugh out loud moments with its witty and hilarious dialogs and beautiful poetic quotes. Also you'll fangirl/boy with the book when you read the awesome Doctor Who and Harry Potter references ( 50 points to that!) and Laugh out loud at the hilarious puns!
The character development in Ezra is definitely what made the book as we watch him grow from his athletic downfall on being his own person, not following peer pressure, who are his real friends and the aftermath of a tragedy.

Also last few pages of the book are beautifully written (lost count how many times I re-read just those few pages). This is one of the books I wished I had when I was still in high school as I really think it will have help me then and now.
 
*read this if you are a John Green Fan!!!*

Full Review (Click Here)
 
4. Chords of Strength: A Memoir of Soul, Song and the Power of Perseverance by

 Okay I know what you're thinking...
1) Who the heck is David Ar-Chu-Leta?!?!
2) Why are you including a celeb memoir to your list 
3)... I can't think of a third reason... yet... lol

David Archuleta, runner up of Season 7 of American Idol came out with a memoir a few years back.

I've been a fan of David since I heard him on AI and have been supporting him, his music and projects for the past 6 years (gosh its been long!). Not only is he a great singer but he also have a great real yet humble personality.

His memoir is full of inspiration and empowerment. He talks from experience on chasing your dreams, have faith and overcoming hurdles that life gives you.

He also talks about the Behind the Scenes American Idol and recording his first album.
I mostly love reading this books because its very positive!



Think of 'The Other Side Of Down' ;P

3. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell


I love both of Rainbow Rowell YA books however I related to Fangirl more (story of my life!!) than Eleanor and Park.

What's unique about her writing is how simple yet realistic her characters are and trough out the books I keep on thinking 'I could relate to this!'

In fact Cath is first year university me! Well kinda (i have no cute Levi to make me Starbucks)

Also Fangirl kinda sparked my mind and motivated me to try fiction and fan fiction writing (just for fun... don't think any of my works will ever see the light unless i ever finish and heavily revise the grammar and spelling! lol).



2. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

What is a book tag/recommendation without me talking about the Awesome John Green! anyone?! just me?! Okay... no pun intended

All of John Green's books (except Let It Snow as I have yet to read it... yet...) have influenced me in so many ways from how I think  to how I view YA contemporary genre. 

While this book didn't put me to tears (that honor goes to Looking for Alaska) it gave an overwhelming roller coaster of feels and impact








1. The Harry Potter Series by J.K.Rowling


Surprise?!?! :P

Long story short this is the first book series I was ever obsess with and what got me into reading.

Also the first fandom I was ever into (yes I used to stalk snitchseeker lol).The series will always have a special place in my heart as I grew with the series, the characters and story.

Also what's special about the series is that I actually started it in another language that was Bahasa Malaysia as my parents thought it will motivate me to improve myself in the language which kinda did... sorta... i am fluent in the language and have read all the Bahasa Malaysia translations xD

It also thought me to NEVER read a book series out of order as you will be very VERY lost and confuse. Did the mistake of skipping book four and reading book five. Boy was I very confuse with the missing chunk of the story and wondering who the heck was Cedric? what is this cup? why are Fred and George suddenly rich?! why does everyone hate Harry? etc etc etc...

Okay so that is my top 10 influential books! If you want to do this tag feel free to link it in the comments! 

Also shout out to Kak Mirah for tagging me in the tag! Better late than never :P

What's your most influential reads?? 




1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this post, Row! Matilda, Great Expectations, Holes, Harry Potter and TFiOS influenced me, too. :)

    ReplyDelete