Tuesday 27 January 2015

Book Review: Pop Rock Love by Raine Koh


Goodreads Description:

Before she had a whirlwind affair with a mysterious Japanese breakdancer named Yuki, Mimi was contented with belting out rock tunes at a pub on the island city of Singapore. When Yuki suddenly disappears, Mimi goes to Tokyo in search of him and discovers that he actually belongs to a sugary-pop, manufactured boy band called the Fire Boys. Mimi and Yuki belong to different worlds. Is their love strong enough to triumph over all?












Title: Pop Rock Love
Author: Raine Koh
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Format: Paperback
Pages: 212 pages
Publisher: Horasis
Source: Received for review from the author


Before I start I want to thank the author for sending this book!

While the plot was well paced out this book took me 3 attempts to read as the beginning was not engaging but once I hit a certain of the book, I breezed trough it. While I did enjoy the story, I was not satisfied with the ending and felt like it could be extended by a couple more pages to wrap it up better.

The book follows Mimi who's boyfriend Yuki returns to Japan suddenly with no explanation. There she finds out he is part of a J-Pop band called Fire Boys.

I like Mimi's character! She's cute yet feisty. I enjoyed reading about her passion for music and indie rock. I also love how she follows her heart and stay true to herself. As for some of the choices she makes trough the book, I was not a fan of especially the ending.

For the romance, sadly this is one love triangle that I was not a fan of.

Yuki and Sato, both characters I have mix feelings about. Sato trough most of the book I was not a fan of him, even when we get to see his 'softer side'. Also I was not satisfied with Sato's ending as there was no conclusion for his story. As for Yuki, I was kind of disappointed with his character as I felt like we didn't get to know much about him or his relationship with Mimi.

Even so I did like the side characters especially Mimi's brother and Yuki's band mates.

I enjoyed the music elements of the book and learning about the Asian Music scene as that's something I'm clueless about. 

Also this might sound odd but reading this book had a familiar atmosphere of home. Maybe its because the book set in Asia or that the Author is from Singapore and her style of writing reminds me of the locally publish books I used to purchased from the 'Popular Bookstore' back in high school but a wave of nostalgia hit me when reading this.

Lastly couple of things I was not a fan of in the book. Firstly I found the book too descriptive. I wish the author would tone down the description and leave it to the readers imagination. There were some grammar errors in the book and the way some of the dialog was written came out awkward. Lastly was the narration. While I was a fan of the multiple POVs, I found it confusing at times wondering which character I'm following.

Overall its a cute story! Check it out if you are interested in the Japanese music scene and Asian drama.

 

Are you into Asian drama/music?

For an odd reason I'm Asian but NOT into both Asian drama and music though lately I've been watching a Taiwanese drama called 'Office Girl' and its freaking cute, and does not make me cringe at the drama as its hilarious.




No comments:

Post a Comment