Saturday 25 October 2014

Book Review :The Death Cure (The Maze Runner #3) by James Dashner


Goodread Description:

The Trials are over. WICKED is planning to restore the survivors' memories and complete the final cure for the Flare.

But Thomas has already remembered more than they think. And he knows WICKED can't be trusted...

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine. Will anyone survive the Death Cure?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13117292-the-death-cure 
Title: The Death Cure (The Maze Runner #3)
Author: James Dashner
Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Apocalyptic, Post Apocalyptic, Action, Thriller, Suspense 
Format: Paperback
Pages: 329 pages
Source:Purchased from K mart



OMG this series will be the death of me!!! *wave fist at the author for writing a amazing series*

I'm not crying... just got something in my eyes... no not crying... no...

Takes place immediately where we left off in scorch trials and once again the book if fulled with confusion, suspense, mystery along with good kickass actions, adventure and friendship. 

The scenario and environment they are in is once again different from the first two books.

We got a lot of good plot twists till the point you don't know who to trust. Many I didn't see coming at all and a lot of throwbacks to both The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials. Some of the things that happen in this book reminded me a bit of the video games The Last Of Us with its similar scenarios.

Even though we got more questions answered on wicked and the trials... there is once again some questions are not answered thought I am guessing that its a for shadow to the prequels like Killzorder and Fever code to answer those questions.

Also we go more in depth with The Flare and how it effect someone who is infected. We also learn what WICKED does with those who are infected, immune and about the quarantined zones.


Okay I seriously want to give Thomas a hug as the poor guy has been trough alot. He's very caring and loyal to his friends. Quick thinking on his actions and for once he didn't do anything too stupid that makes you want to hit him in the head. He goes trough life/death and traumatic experience trough out the series but non as gruesome as this book. I feel as a character, he grew a lot in this book. The decisions he makes in this book were good and wise even though some were difficult and painful.

MINHO IS MVP OF THE SERIES!!! or MVC (MOST VALUABLE CHARACTER). I love this guy to bits!!! Sassy and sarcastic as always, a great leader and loyal friend. I also love all the quick thinking action scenes he has!

WHERE.CAN.I.GET.A.MINHO.IN.MY.LIFE???

Yay we got to know more about Jorge and Brenda! Jorge was an okay character and a father figure to Brenda. Brenda was kickass but also mysterious and at times I had trust issues with her. In the end I still like her character. 


Newt... oh boy I really want to hug the poor guy. Lets just say something happens and though I expected his fate to happen, the way it played out was the saddest and most painful thing I've read in the series... *sniff *sniff 

Theresa... I feel for Thomas on my thoughts on her. In scorch trials she betrays him so I don't blame him for not trusting her. In death cure she was trying to win back his trust. The ending I didn't see coming at all.

A character from the previous book shows up and it kinda gave me a shock. I didn't like him in the previous book but they did a good job explaining actions and has change for the better.. yah I kinda like the character.

Also most side characters from previous books are pushed aside and briefly mention. The Death Cure mainly focuses on Thomas,Minho and Brenda with a bit of Jorge, Theresa and Newt.

WICKED... though they did a lot of screwy things, for once they did something right in this book and I am quiet glad about it. Though that Rat Man guy is efffffffffff up! Like mental crazy efff up! Also there is still alot some questions about Chancellor Paige that needs answer!

Like any dystopian/apocalyptic genre, we have a mess up 'government' but also a mess up 'rebel' and at the end we really don't know who to trust. I have such mix feelings with the right-arm people trough the whole book.

The pacing and build up for the plot was so good! James Dashner has a good way of captivating and keeping me wanting to turn the pages to know what happens next as like the previous book SOMETHING IS ALWAYS HAPPENING! And yes... I stayed up till 3am reading this... again...

Some action scenes were too draggy but there are still some fast pace moments. Also while some scenes were sad and emotional as well as intense, there were a couple of scenes that I found flat.

While in the last book there was a bit of love triangle romance tension and confusion, I'm glad that there is not love triangle in this book and the romance is put to the back seat as this series focus mainly on survival, trust and friendship. If they added the romance I think it will have chocked up the storyline so its refreshing to read a series where its light on romance.

The ending... partly sad as we lost another major character and that it was not focus as a significant but I don't really blame them as they were in a life/death not time to think or turn back situation. I am also kinda surprise with the ending cause its a happy ending.

Then I turned the page to that god damn epilogue... wait...what?! why?! okay but still wth?!?!
Like the previous books it ends with a confusing email/note from WICKED so maybe... just maybe the adventure is not over for Thomas and his friends.

Even so I am satisfied with how it ended though I am freaking sad on all the characters we lost!

I found this book sadder and more emotional than the previous books. The action is less intense compared to scorch trials but it have some really good world and plot build up. I also feel like this book is more character centric.

James Dashner has made it to the list of new favorite author and I love this series he has created!

Though the scorch trials is my favorite book in the series I love all three books! Each for a different reason! I want to pick up the Killorder but not too soon as this series have left me in exhaustion and maybe even a book hangover...

Amazing series that have a lot of epic actions, adventure and trills that will leave you on the edge of your seat. I also love the snarky and sarcastic dialogs and the cast of characters .

Definitely check out this series! Not a disappointment! 

Also check out my review on The Maze Runner Book and Movie and The Scorch Trials

 What was the last great series you've read?

Me? The Lunar Chronicles even though the series is not yet over... NEED.WINTER.YESTERDAY.







1 comment:

  1. This book series is amazing. I wish they would stick to it more in the movies, but that is entertainment! Although it's about a zombie type era, which has gained so much popularity the last few years; is creative and addicting to read. Besides the Harry Potter series and Jane Austen novels, this is a top favorite series!

    ReplyDelete