Friday 3 October 2014

Book Review : The Cinderella Moment by Jennifer Kloester

Goodreads :

A love of fashion.

A couture competition.

A once-in-a-lifetime chance . . .
Angel Moncoeur has always wanted to be a fashion designer, but without money or connections, it's going to be a challenge. When an opportunity to leave her home in New York and head to Paris appears, Angel grabs it – even if it means masquerading as her best friend Lily. That can't be too hard, can it?

But faking things doesn't come easy for Angel, so when she falls in love with her very own Prince Charming and he thinks she's someone else, things start to get complicated.

Angel needs to stop her secrets unravelling if she wants to live happily ever after . . .

From exciting talent Jennifer Kloester comes this fabulous story about high society, mistaken identity, love, betrayal, friendship – and great clothes.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18126935-the-cinderella-moment 

Title: The Cinderella Moment
Author: Jennifer Kloester
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance, Chick Lit,
Format: Paperback
Pages: 304 pages
Source: Purchased from Bookworld




Okay so its no secret that I love fairy tale retelling especially Cinderella retelling.



I was wonderstruck enchanted with the book! 

I picked this up as the book was recommended at PTA live and also cause the sequel is already out (The Rapunzel Dilemma) 

Reading this... lets just say its best to go into the book with knowing as little as possible and that the book is very different from the synopsis.

The book started slow for me but as it progresses it got better.  While I like the narration and the very addictive plot, I found some parts of the book too descriptive to my liking especially on the parts where Angle goes on and on about the fabric of the dresses. Maybe this is because I don't like sewing and was not a fan of sewing classes in high school is one of the reason but if even so I feel like the description was toned down slightly I will have enjoyed it more. Though don't get me wrong, its fun reading about Angle being mesmerize and enchanted with fashion! Its her passion and i love reading a character who is very passionate about something they love. 

The characters were very well written especially the 'evil step-mother' and 'evil step-daughter' characters as they made me LOVE to HATE them with pure passion! Probably one of the best written villains I've read! Like no joke i had temptation of throwing my book across the room when the evil duo were EVIL! But then I had to remind myself that its not worth throwing a book over frustrating villains as they are written out like that ;)

I like reading about Angle! She's very sweet and heart warming, at times i find her a bit too 'goody two shoes', enthusiast and passionate with fashion and a determine to make her dreams come true.  While I like Angle I love Lily and am looking forward to reading more about her in the sequel! Both girls are as different as day and night. Even though their differences they are as close as best friends could be and almost like sisters! If Angle is the 'goody two shoes', Lily is the rule breaker and risk taker. She's very caring and looks out for her best friend and is also really smart as she managed to get them out of some situation.. some not all... 

While I was not a fan on how Lily and Angle managed to swap places without anyone noticing, I still love reading about it! It reminds me of Parent Trap or Monte Carlo meets prince and the pauper and the princess diaries . I also love reading Angle and her relationship with Lily's Grandmere! She reminds me of a nicer version of Grandmere from the princess diaries!

In fact I had Julie Andrews in mind to play here if ever this book as made into a movie! Anyone?! just me?! okay... 

The side characters  Phillip (Lily's dad) and Simone (Angle's mum) were great to read but my fav is definitely Nick! I meant British boys, charming gentlemen manners, cute cheekiness, and did I mention he know how to tango?!?! I love reading his romance with Angle! My only complain about him is that there is not enough of him in the book!

While the main plot of the book is for Angle to achieve her dream of being a fashion designer , there were elements of friendship and expect alot of family drama at the end.

Overall check this book out for a refreshing modern twist on Cinderella, if you love reading books set in Paris, and if you enjoy watching project runway (or fashion).



What was the last enchanting book you've read?!




No comments:

Post a Comment