Friday 17 October 2014

Book Review : Geek Girl (Geek Girl #1) by Holly Smale

Goodreads Description:

 Harriet Manners knows a lot of things.

She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves.

As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did.

And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?


Title: Geek Girl (Geek Girl #1)
Author: Holly Smale
Genre:Contemporary, Young Adult, Chick Lit
Format: Paperback
Pages: 378 pages
Publisher:  HarperCollins Children's Books
Source: Purchased from Dymocks


I was smiling like an Idiot when I was done with this book... like literally have a big smile xD

Okay so I picked this book up cause of the title and the nerdy glasses on the cover.

Set in the UK, 'Geek Girl' follows Harriet who is a geek and is well aware of it. Tired of being bullied by mean girl Alexis and her classmates for being a geek, when discovered by Wilbur, a talent scout for a modeling agency during a catastrophic school trip, Harriet takes the opportunity in hopes of changing her life.
Though it sounds like the typical 'Geek turn Chic' story this one is anything but typical! The book has a lot of depth and has a unique way of dealing with being yourself, don't care of what others think, consequences of lying, friendship and family.
  
I love reading Harriet's narration! Its very sarcastic, quirky and brainy and if you are one of those who like trivia or live with an OED you'll enjoy all the random facts Harriet throws at you.


Also I immediately clicked with Harriet's character as I could relate to her (yes I am a geek girl!). Cute, geeky know-it-all yet naive and socially awkward, trough the book we watch her grow in confidence and be comfortable with herself. Also I love how even though she's a model she is still down to earth.

Harriet's parents are some of the bookish parents I've read! In fact they are exactly like my parents!

At first I was not a fan of her her super strict and overbearing lawyer step-mother but when the book hits a certain point I immediately love the mum. As for her dad, he is the 'fun parent'. Laugh out loud and childish yet super supportive and caring for his daughter I love the moments where we read about her dad and he even have some of the best lines in the book! 
  In fact when reading the book I was picturing David Tennent aka Tenth doctor (aka my doctor :P) as Harriet dad! 

Harriet's best friend Nat was both a hit and a miss character for me. We didn't get to know much about her character other than that she's loyal and is always standing up for Harriet when she's being bullied as well as she's an aspiring model so think how awkward it must have been when her best friend go offered a modeling contract and not her. 
Same goes for Nick aka Lion Boy. His character was kinda vague and I found him popping in and out of the story at random. Even so every time we see him we learn more about him and some parts got me by surprise. Also did I mention that he's a top model and Harriot's love Interest? Though I found this book not romance heavy, there is some sweet yet awkward romance going on but I felt like THAT bit at the end is just too forced.

Alexis aka the Queen Bee and the Bully who is always tormenting Harriet cause she is smart and a Geek... I hated here with a pure passion. What's interesting is that Alexis is based on the author's experience in real life. While I admit some bullies are awful, Alexis was just down right Cruel! Think tyrant cruel. Some of the things that she does to Harriet were freaking terrible and its sad to read about it. (random fact: both me and my brother were bullied trough out primary and secondary school so I feel freaking sad whenever I read about a character being badly bullied.)  Long story short, she makes Harriet's life a living hell.

Toby who's Harriet fellow geek, classmate and stalker... okay thought I admit he does have some really funny moments but to know that he is her stalker... a part of me want's to shout 'GET A RESTRAINING ORDER' at Harriet or something as stalkers creep the heck out of me! 
 ITS.JUST.WRONG!!!


Wilbur was a very random character that I always look forward to reading him as he is freaking hilarious! Think Marc St. James from Ugly Betty but with the charismatic and hilarious lines like "my little pot of bean paste"! Yup I freaking love Wilbur!!


Yuka Ito... okay at first I misread it as Yoko Ono so I was picturing her trough out the book.
Anyways I love reading about her as she was really mysterious! 

This book is fun, smart and shows the behind the scenes of fashion and modeling (and that it can be kinda dangerous). I also love all the twist and turn of the plot which makes it a page turner as well as turns Harriet's world upside down. 

Overall definitely check out this book if you're in for a 'geek chick' read!
  
 I really enjoy this book cause not only does it put me in fits of giggle and smile like there is no tomorrow but this book feels real!

Fast pace, lighthearted, fluffy and smart this is a book you will want to read if you want to cheer yourself up when you're having a bad day.
 Read this if you like The Princess Diaries series meets Ugly Betty meets Cinderella. 

Though this book works well as a stand along, its actually part of a series. I'm definitely picking up the sequel the next time i see it in the bookshop!

Lately I've been in a 'nerdy' contemporary kick so what was the last 'nerdy' book you've read? 

Apart from Geek Girl I just completed The Boyfriend App and The Summer I Become a nerd (expect reviews on those soon) and I am currently reading An Anatomy of a Misfit.


DFTBA guys :P

1 comment:

  1. Nice review although you did spell model wrong! I love all of the geek girl series and can not wait for the sixth book to come out!

    ReplyDelete